Saturday, September 22, 2007

I Hate Goodbyes

They make me cry. I just said goodbye to 2 friends who are moving in order to have better lives and fresh starts. They are in simlar situations to mine so I know how they are feeling. Although I have known them but for a short time, they are among the friends I have made who have stood beside me when I cried nd cried along with me. I know that on this journey called life, people come and go, but the ones that matter, really matter, stay, no matter the time or distance that may come in between. So I wish them nothing but happiness and peace. And I know that no matter what happens, I will not forget them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never say goodbye. It's too final. How do you know that life and fate won't put you and those friends back in the same place at the same time again?

That reminds me of the little guy I was a Big Brothers In-School Mentor to, when I lived in Ajax. I won't go into great detail, other than to say that Patrick really needed the one hour a week of one-on-one attention.

At the end of the school year, there was the possibility that either one or both of us could be moving during the summer. So we talked about how if we were both still in Ajax in September, we would see each other again, and if not, you never know if or when you might see someone again. I also told him that a friend is forever, and if you never see that friend again, you feel really good every time you think of them.

We did get back together again in the fall. But in January, Pat did move away -- coincidentally, a week before I was offered the job that brought me to Ottawa.

So the last day we got together, there were a lot of unsolicited hugs from my buddy. He had a plan, though, that had me moving to the same town as him. I told him that wouldn't work, and asked him if he remembered what we talked about in June. "Yeah," he said, "friends are forever, and even if you don't see each other again, you feel really good every time you think of them."

More hugs and a few other gifts, like my 20-year-old McHappy Day apron that Pat loved to wear when we were baking together.

We also wouldn't say good-bye, just "Maybe see ya later."