Thursday, September 11, 2008

What's Up Doc??

So, I had my first prenatal visit with my doc yesterday, and all seems to be well. I am now 9 weeks along and feeling fine, not a stitch of morning sickness, knock on wood. She seemed to be more excited than I am....not that I'm not, just that given the circumstances, it's taking some getting used to the idea. She recommends I have an amniocentisis, which is a test they do by sticking a needle in my belly and drawing fluid out of the amniotic sac, and this is done to test for Down Syndrome. Because of my age(I will be 35 when I deliver) she feels it would be a good idea. Ok, she's not the one getting jabbed in the belly. But , this test can also tell you the sex of the baby, should you want to know. Part of me does and part of me doesn't want to know. I am not sure exactly when this test will be done, but I am accepting resumes for handholders....Anyway, that's about it, my next appointment is on Oct 9th, when maybe, just maybe I will hear a little heartbeat...:)

4 comments:

Bob said...

I have small, yet very soft and kind hands.

On Oct. 9, may you hear "thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump..."

Ma Horton said...

I have hands that hold and a heart that cares .

JB said...

This test was also recommended to us, and we declined. I'll tell you why. Yes, my wife was in her early 30's when she gave birth to Liam and Morgan, BUT - would we have aborted the birth of our twins if they were Down's Syndrome? Of course not.
MORE IMPORTANTLY - this test is NOTORIOUS for false positives, which would mean that you would spend the rest of your pregnancy worrying about it, or abort a baby who MIGHT be perfect in every way, even though the test told you otherwise.
Let me append that with -
Down's Syndrome babies are also perfect...but they are very much a challenge.
Until the test is more accurate, I personally don't think it's worth the heartache. However, if you decide to have the test, your friends will support you.

Maria said...

OMG, when did you start this site?
Where have I been?

Your having a baby --- good on you!!

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!